Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New website design coming, need suggestions

I got some Haruhi H if you need a base to start from.

Weeaboo leader or something Swaps4's Avatar

Compiling a list of requests I've received via email over the last couple of months. Will keep updating this post with them when I find more. I'm just posting them here incase they spark more ideas.

I am just wondering if there was ever a plan to bring personalised tracking to the site, like a user logging in to view anime/blog updates that they opt for and maybe also generating lists of what people have already watched.
    New layout for the monthly release calendar.

I'd like to see a more useful, slicker looking release calendar; especially considering its probably one of the more commonly traffic'd areas besides the anime list (Which already looks nice)

I'd suggest going with something similiar to what netflix has goin.

http://thereasoner.com/files/2011/06...ayout-full.jpg

For haruhichan it'd be cool to see dates go top to bottom and pictures/titles/showtimes going left to right similiar to whats shown above.

If you wanna get fancy add in some css and border pictures purple/red so we still get the which is starting/ending info. To really get it looking sharp I'd go with what swaps was talking about which is also on netflix a on-hover display of quick info and links to that animes page.

Just tossin some ideas your way, take it easy guys.
    -BahumutX13
    1. The front page is cluttered.
    The very first thing that came to my mind when I entered the site was "Wow, I see walls of text." There are a few things that lead to this observation. Overall, however, the amount of text to image, along with the font / size of the text gives the web page an extremely 'busy' feel. I feel that by implementing true article summaries along with a potential change in text size and/or font size (or potentially even both!) could drastically solve these issues.

2. The text to image ratio is too unbalanced.
    Frankly put, there is way too much text for the number of images on the website (or, I suppose you could also say that there aren't enough images / the images aren't large enough for the amount of text). I feel that this issue would be quickly resolved with an article revamp of some sort (possibly making use of summaries or larger images? I can't say for sure).

3. The forums are dead.
    Regardless of attachments to individual members, the forums truly does lack activity. Unlike the front page, however, I do not feel that this is a problem caused by interface or aesthetic layout. The forums are essentially dead because the front page is extremely difficult to get by. An easily accessible website allows for fluid transition into forum activity.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that these are merely observations from a single member of the site. I respect and appreciate the amount of effort that has been put into it, and hope to see Haruhichan grow into something much greater!
    I was wondering if it would be possible to add like a Previous and Next buttons to the recent anime part on the homapage.

The list gets updated enough to where unless I check it daily, I'm gonna miss an update, especially ones to the new anime that I'm watching.

And as far as I know, there is no way to see older updates. So in order to see which anime had an update or not, I'll have to go through each one in the anime list. Which would be annoying and I'm lazy.

Here's a picture to see what I mean:
    http://i.imgur.com/ymUweuu.png

That's pretty much all I don't really like about the site right now. The rest... tbh I don't even use lol.

I am delighted to see how much thought you guys have put in improving the site.

Quote Originally Posted by s0beit View Post
    • Account system using vBulletin as the core
    I'm mostly excited about the whole account system with vBulletin, since that would make this place called the forums a little less useless. Account systems will ensure that users feel more affinity with the site, and maybe make the feel more at home with additional customization options.

• Voting for favorite anime of the season (For logged in users)
    • Voting for favorite sub group for a specific show (For logged in users, the top voted would be marked as 'good', like nyaa's system for marking torrents as 'good' or 'bad', we will instead go by popular user vote)
    I support the implantation of the voting system, too. Seems like a brilliant way to interact with the community, and understanding the community better.

• Emphasis for the front page will be torrents and torrents, also torrents. Blog will come second and will be moved to the side-bar.
    Furthermore, I do believe you need to stress of the importance of the torrents more as well. The list looks like it's a small addition now, but if you don't come to haruhichan to download anime, what /do/ you come here for? Preferably I'd like to see a bigger list of the recent anime. Maybe you could make a link for it in the header. I'd like to be able to browse through pages of new anime, too. Much like nyaatorrent and tokyotoshokan.

My main problem with the site, though, is that I don't see myself using it, at the state it is now. I don't think I CAN actually use it. This is because I do not watch subbed anime, I watch them raw. Adding raw anime to the site would probably be my biggest wish.

New layout for the monthly release calendar.

I'd like to see a more useful, slicker looking release calendar; especially considering its probably one of the more commonly traffic'd areas besides the anime list (Which already looks nice)

I'd suggest going with something similiar to what netflix has goin.

http://thereasoner.com/files/2011/06...ayout-full.jpg

For haruhichan it'd be cool to see dates go top to bottom and pictures/titles/showtimes going left to right similiar to whats shown above.

If you wanna get fancy add in some css and border pictures purple/red so we still get the which is starting/ending info. To really get it looking sharp I'd go with what swaps was talking about which is also on netflix a on-hover display of quick info and links to that animes page.

Just tossin some ideas your way, take it easy guys.
    -BahumutX13
    Additionally, I agree with BahumutX13 about making a new layout for the release calender. I really hate how it looks now, it's just a clusterfuck. I doubt anyone can read it. In the past, I've used http://countdown.mandragon.info/ a lot. Which looks sort of like netflix, too. However, I prefer the chart MALu has going on most: http://puu.sh/1XfHG
    The only thing I really want to know, is the ETA. I guess it means a lot less to people who use subs, but as I stated before, I watch raws so I watch it once it has aired. I prefer MALu's format over a time such as 0d 03:48:52, since that's hard to read, and the ongoing countdown is pretty distracting.

As for the anime list, there's tons of shows I have no interest in at all, so I'd rather not see them. It would be an idea to maybe highlight the anime you are watching, which you could adjust with the new account system.

Lastly, I think the seasonal charts is the most sloppiest page at the moment.
    http://puu.sh/1Xgel The title here has completely no styling at all. Could at least make it like this: http://puu.sh/1Xgfx
    Also, you should definitely put the newer charts at the top, older ones at the bottom. Oh and you might have noticed it's 2013 now, so it should be 2011-2013. (By the way, the copyright at the footer still says 2012, too.)

I wish you the best of luck with redesigning the site. Surely it seems like a daunting task, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Well the release calendar is going to be confusing, I think people will wonder why their shows have no subs out when they aired yesterday... and stuff like that. I will have to work on it a bit.

What about maybe the addition of no longer running shows?

1. Assimilate with 1eden.com

2. Manga

3. Add an anime section

4. Get rid of haroha or whatever her name is

5. Change the name to 1edenchan.com

6. Change all the usernames to Bosspitos

7. Have translations to all the silly wapanese phrases

8. Ban kirino and his waifu

9. Change the colour scheme to purple, green, brown and yellow

10. Give everyone FTP access

Added some social network bullshit to main post

Weeaboo leader or something Swaps4's Avatar

Hmm, had an idea. The torrent list, you'll be able to tick which ones you want to download (Since not every group makes batches and such) and download them all at once and load them into your torrent client all at once. I'm not sure if it's possible but it does sound very handy.

"[Deciding]:

Voting for favorite anime of the season (For logged in users)
    Voting for favorite sub group for a specific show (For logged in users, the top voted would be marked as 'good', like nyaa's system for marking torrents as 'good' or 'bad', we will instead go by popular user vote)
    Custom anime charts using javascript and HTML, with options to show what you're planning to pick up or not.
    Subscribing to shows before they air using the improved anime chart system mentioned above.
    Possibility for user pages indicating what you've picked up, favorited, perhaps some other personal social bullshit like MAL links, website links, avatar and so on (which would all be optional, obviously)
    The front page will contain shows airing today, and there will be visual indication if the episode has dropped or not
    Might, MAYBE, PERHAPS add a section for Japanese dramas/live action shows and movies.
    PROBABLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN TIER: Manga.
    Maybe when I have spare time tier: Mobile version of the website. (Although an android app is already in development anyway)"

All sound like pretty decent idea's. I think voting for best anime/fansub group should be a no brainer for having it.

Members who have read this thread: 1