The official website of the 2016 anime adaptation of Kentarou Miura’s Berserk manga has released a brand new video promoting the release of the first Blu-ray volume of the series. The new video shows off a comparison between the original broadcast and the upcoming uncensored release.
Since the Blu-rays are released after the original TV version, studios have additional time to reproduce scenes of the anime that may have been rushed to make schedules, deadlines and meet TV regulations. They may redraw scenes, add new ones, include flashier effects, remove censorship or just improve the general quality of the anime.
The new comparison video showcases various scenes that have been modified/altered for the Blu-ray release, which will release on October 28. This includes any touch ups, redraws, and uncensored scenes that may have been censored for TV broadcast.
Note that the video contains NSFW content and spoilers for episodes 1 -6.
The first Blu-ray volume will contain the first 6 episodes of the 2016 anime, all uncensored. Early orders of the volume will also come with:
- A special illustration cover (above) drawn by Miura
- A draft of a side story by Miura
- A booklet containing screenplays and storyboards
- A three way case drawn by character designer Hisashi Abe
- Priority ticket sales for a future event
- An OST CD
- Uncredited Opening and Ending sequences
The first volume will retail for ¥22,500 ($217.10 USD) + tax and will be out on October 28th. The second volume will feature the remaining 6 episodes and will be out on December 21st. The anime aired during the Summer 2016 anime season starting on Friday, July 1st on WOWOW, for a total of 12 episodes. The series also aired on MBS, TBS and CBC.
A second season of the anime was announced after the broadcast of the first season’s final episode. It will be airing in Spring 2017.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Hiroaki Iwanaga (Guts in Berserk: The Golden Age Arc) will be back to voice Guts
- Kaoru Mizuhara (Shirushiru from gdgd Fairies) will voice Puck
- Yoko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama in K-ON!) as Farnese
- Kazuyuki Okitsu (Jonathan Joestar in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) is voicing as Serpico
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) voices Isidro
The supporting cast includes:
- Hiroki Yasumoto (Germany from Hetalia) is going to voice Azan
- Toa Yukinari (Casca from Berserk: The Golden Age Arc) as Casca
- Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass) voices Griffith
- Akio Ohtsuka (Batou in Ghost in the Shell) is voicing Skull Knight
- Unshou Ishizuka (Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop) will be voicing the Narrator
The leading members of the anime’s production staff includes:
- Director: Shin Itagaki (Teekyuu, Devil May Cry)
- Series Composers: Makoto Fukami (Psycho-Pass, Yuruyuri San Hai!) and Takashi Yamashita (Cencoroll)
- Anime Character Designer: Hisashi Abe (Gunslinger Girl, Chobits)
- Music Composer: Shiro Sagisu (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Magi)
- Animation Studio: Liden Films (Miss Monochrome, Terra Formars)
Berserk is a dark fantasy manga written and illustrated by Kentaro Miura, that began in 1989. The manga is being serialized in Hakusensha’s Young Animal magazine, where a total of 37 volumes have been published to date. The series was adapted into a TV anime series in 1997 for 25 episodes, being directed by Naohito Takahashi (Danball Senki W, Steel Angel Kurumi) and animated by OLM, Inc. (Pokémon, Inazuma Eleven). The manga also received an anime movie trilogy from 2012 under Berserk: The Golden Age Arc. The films were directed by Toshiyuki Kubooka (Gunbuster and Giant RoboAnimation Director) and produced by Studio 4°C (Tweeny Witches, Harmony).
Here is the synopsis of the first anime on MAL:
A brave young warrior named Guts fights for his fortune as a mercenary on the front lines. A fated encounter unites Guts with the charismatic and deadly young man named Griffith. Leading the rogue soldiers known as the Band of the Hawk, Griffith wields his formidable force like no other. Driven by a quest for status, the Hawks exert military and social prowess the likes of which have never been seen before. The armies of Midland will quake with fear as Griffith and Guts set off on a path that will bring the world to its knees.
The 2016 Berserk TV anime will be taking a season break and will continue with its next arc in the Spring 2017 anime season, which generally starts in April. Further details about the new season will be revealed at a later date.
Latest posts by Swaps4 (see all)
- Shirobako Ani-Art Event at Akihabara Gamers Main Store - December 12, 2019
- The Demon Girl next Door in Akihabara - December 10, 2019
- Yom Exhibition 5 - December 9, 2019