The official website of the Persona 3 anime films have revealed the title to the third, Persona 3 The Movie #3: Falling Down. The site has also revealed that the movie will be releasing in Japanese theatres next Spring. The reveal was accompanied by the first visual of the film:
The new visual itself features a brand new character to the film series, Ryoji Mochizuki. He is a mysterious transfer student enrolled in Gekkoukan High School. In addition to the visual, the anime’s official website has released new character designs for Ryoji, who will be a major part of the upcoming 2015 film.
The film itself will feature the return of the cast from the 2nd film, Midsummer Knight’s Dream. A new director will be helming helming the production of the film. Keitaro Motonaga (Date A Live, Jormungand) will be replacing Tomohisa Taguchi (Persona 4 the Golden Animation) who directed the second film. The anime’s website has also revealed the staff members producing the film:
- Supervisor: Seiji Kishi (Persona 4 The Animation, Angel Beats!)
- Script Writer: Jun Kumagai (Persona 3 Movies, Hamatora the Animation)
- Anime Character Designer and Animation Director: Keisuke Watabe (Persona 3 Movies, Seikai no Senki)
- Art Director: Toshihiro Kohama (Persona 3 Movies, Spice and Wolf)
- Chief Animation Directors: Tomomi Ishikawa (Persona 3 Movies, Haganai), Yae Ootsuka (Persona 3 Movies, Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie)
- Art Designer: Kaoru Aoki (Persona 3 Movies, Toriko)
- Sound Director: Tomohisa Taguchi (Persona 3 Movies, Persona 4 the Golden Animation Director)
- Music: Shoji Meguro (Persona 3 and Persona 4 Composer), Tetsuya Kobayashi (Persona 3 Movies, Blood+ Storyboard Artist)
- Animation Studio: AIC (Sora no Otoshimono, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)
Persona 3 is a PlayStation 2 JRPG developed and published by Atlus in Japan in 2006 and in the West in 2007 and 2008. The game is part of a spin-off series to Atlus’ greater Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Upon release the game received overwhelmingly positive reception selling over 120,000 copies in the first week of release. The game follows a new student of Gekkoukan High School where he is staying at a new dorm. Set in a present day city, when the clock hits midnight very strange and dark things being to occur and the only way to stop them is with the new mysterious power, Persona. In the game players need to balance the typical High School life of exams, meeting with friends and studying, with exploring a large dungeon and defeating menacing foes. The game itself received a sequel titled Persona 3 FES two years after the release of the game. A port to the PlayStation Portable was also produced and released in 2009 in Japan, and 2010,2011 in the West. The game included a playable female protagonist.
Here is a synopsis of Persona 3 The Movie #3: Falling Down:
“I kind of understand now… You’re afraid of losing things, right?”
The season turns to autumn. The fight of the protagonist and his group S.E.E.S. with the strange monsters Shadows is getting closer to an end. Makoto and his allies engage in life-or-death battles with Shadows in order to end the Dark Hour. Through the battles, some must face the deaths of friends and family, some must notice what precious things must be protected, and some must find meaning in the battles that have occured.
In front of Makoto, the mysterious transfer student Ryoji Mochizuki appears. When the group greets a new morning, the gears of fate begin to turn. A fight revolving around each of the heroes’ bonds begins…
Persona 3 The Movie #3: Falling Down will be releasing in Japanese theatres in Spring 2015. The Blu-ray and DVD release of the second film, Persona 3 The Movie #3: Midsummer Knight’s Dream will release in Japan on March 11th.
So how do the players feel about the upcoming film? Did you enjoy the previous two films?