The fantasy-military light novel series, Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai, has been featured as a poster in the November 2015 issue of NyanType. You can purchase this issue of NyanType magazine here and you can view the other posters that come in this issue here.
The staff for the anime consist of:
- Director: Tomoyuki Kawamura (Kamigami no Asobi, episode director and storyboarder for Danshi Koukousei noNichijou)
- Character Designer: Kousuke Kawamura (Mayo Chiki!, Oniichan dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!)
- Series Composition: Kento Shimoyama (Bleach, Servant x Service)
- Music: A-bee
- Animation Producer: SILVER LINK (Non Non Biyori, Kokoro Connect)
- Opening Theme Song: Afilia Saga (Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru, Isuca)
- Ending Theme Song: Kanako Itou (Myself ; Yourself, School Days)
Cast and character designs:
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Free!: Eternal Summer‘s Sousuke Yamazaki, Kuroko no Basket‘s Junpei Hyuuga) as Takeru Kusanagi
- The commander of the AntiMagic Academy’s 35th Test Platoon, which is also often called the “small fry platoon.” He is a sword user even though swords are now considered old fashioned. His swordsmanship skills are second to none, but he has zero ability with guns and zero academic skills. Basically his skill with a sword is his only good point. He is softhearted and is considerate of his friends, but on the other hand he loses his temper when anyone makes fun of swordsmanship.
- Iori Nomizu (Date A Live‘s Yoshino, Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?‘s Kurousagi) as Lapis Lazuli
- A girl whose eyes, hair, and clothes are the color of lapis lazuli. She is a “Twilight Type Relic Eater” known as Mistletein who has inherited an ancient ability to transform into any weapon with a blade. When Takeru is on the verge of death, she chooses him to become her host. She is normally very reserved and shows little expression, but the truth is she is very prideful, and she gets jealous whenever Takeru uses other weapons.
- Kanae Itou (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai‘s Sena Kashiwazaki, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai‘s Elsie) as Mari Nikaidou
- A cheerful and naive witch who has the ancient powers of manipulating aurora borealis. She believes in the idea of using her magical powers to bring happiness to others. She cooperates with Haunted — a member of Valhalla — for her own reasons to carry out his plans. However, after a certain incident she loses her memories, and she is assigned guard duty for the 35th Test Platoon. She originally plans to to keep her distance from each member of the platoon, but…
- Reina Ueda (Hanayamata‘s Naru Sekiya, Jitsu wa Watashi wa‘s Mikan Akemi) as Ouka Ootori
- A young woman who was the youngest member of the Inquisitors of Heretics Office until she violated a certain order and lost her license. She then had to return to the AntiMagic Academy, and was assigned to the 35th Test Platoon under Takeru. She has a strong sense of justice, and so she is very stubborn and hates dishonesty. She has a violent hatred toward evil magic users.
- Rumi Ookubo (Death Parade‘s Nona, Barakamon‘s Tamako Arai) as Usagi Saionji
- A member of the 35th Test Platoon who is in charge of sniping. Her sniping skills are extraordinary, but she has severe stage fright and often makes crucial mistakes because of it. She is a hard worker who always gives everything her very best, so out of all the members she is the most unhappy at her platoon being called the “small fry platoon.” She has a complex about her first name, so she blushes deeply and gets very angry whenever anyone calls her by her first name.
- Ryoko Shiraishi (Working!!!‘s Kazue Takanashi, Gugure! Kokkuri-san‘s Female Kokkuri) as Ikaruga Suginami
- The mood maker of the 35th Test Platoon. She is a genius with superhuman intellect, and is in charge of maintenance for the unit, but she only has an interest in weapons development and remodeling. She often gathers intelligence via hacking, illegally remodels the unit’s weapons, and sexually harasses others, as well as other countless troublesome activities.
- Kouji Yusa (Yowamushi Pedal‘s Akira Midousuji, Kuroshitsuji‘s Lau) as Haunted
- An S-rank dangerous magic user and former Catholic priest whose ancient power includes manipulating despair. He is a magician who can control dead spirits, perform summons, and perform alchemy, but his personal history is completely unknown. He loves despair, and his reason for living is to cause others to feel despair. He is one of the leaders of Valhalla, an organization whose goal is to recover witches. However, Haunted’s actions within the organization are based more on his own warped aesthetic.
- Natsumi Yamada (Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku‘s Marina Koizumi, Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita.‘s Lamdimia Do Aximemor) as Nagaru Hoshijiro
- The 17-year-old student council president of the AntiMagic Academy. She is very small so she doesn’t look her age. She is cheerful and is always wearing a smiling expression. She often huddles under a kotatsu (heated table) and has a carefree way of speaking, so she’s quite like a cat. However, whenever there is any emergency, she is able to calmly make decisions. She is a reliable commander.
- Chika Anzai (Hitsugi no Chaika‘s Chaika Trabant, Hibike! Euphonium‘s Reina Kousaka) as Kiseki Kusanagi
- Takeru’s most beloved little sister and his only blood relative. She is a small girl who is very reserved and speaks haltingly.
- Shinichiro Miki (Monogatari Series: Second Season‘s Deishuu Kaiki, Gintama‘s Tatsuma Sakamoto) as Sougetsu Ootori
- The AntiMagic Academy’s school chairman, and the head of the Inquisitors of Heretics Office. His personality is very vague and aloof. He serves as a guardian to Ouka, who has no family. He assigns Ouka to the 35th Test Platoon with a certain expectation. Underneath his handsome smiling face, only he himself knows his true intentions.
- In a world where people with magic powers are being wiped out.
- The pinnacle of military might now shifts to guns, as it once shifted from sword to sorcery.
- I am Takeru Kusanagi, one trained in the Kusanagi Double-Edged school. I will cut you down!
- Takeru Kusanagi, voice actor: Yoshimasa Hosoya. Platoon leader of the 35th test platoon. An outdated person who uses a sword in a world dominated by guns.
- If you people want the platoon to conduct operations, then you can do it somewhere else. I’m fine on my own.
- Ouka Ootori, voice actress: Reina Ueda. Daughter of the chairman of the board. A genius that acquired a license from the Inquisition in only half a year in her middle school years.
- I–I–I’m not really nervous. I’m upset you’d think of me that way!
- Usagi Saionji, voice actress: Rumi Ookubo. An extraordinary sniper who suffers from extreme stage fright.
- Well, that won’t do, will it? I suppose I’ll have to take some of my clothes off for you.
- Ikaruga Suginami, voice actress: Ryoko Shiraishi. A maintenance genius. A strange person with little interest beyond weapons development and refit.
- AntiMagic Academy “The 35th Test Platoon”
- Premieres October 7 on Tokyo MX and other channels.
The light novel was written by Touki Yanagimi (Vanquish Overload, Ryousangata wa Date ja Nai!) and illustrated by Kippu (Nourin). The novels was published under Kadokawa Shoten’s Fujimi Shobou imprint since May 19, 2012. There are currently 10 light novel volumes. The 11th volume will be released on August 20, 2015. It also received a 3-volume manga adaptation under the same title on November 9, 2012 to May 9, 2014.
Synopsis of AntiMagic Academy 35th Test Platoon from MAL:
The 35th Test Platoon of Antimagic academy, they’re one of squads enrolled at academy specializing in raising the witch hunters, whose job is to find, neutralize any magical threats!
Unfortunately they’re a group of failures nicknamed “Small Fry Platoon,” a platoon formed from bunch of self-centered people who can’t cooperate and have personality problems.
Will they manage to overcome their weaknesses and shine as the strongest platoon?