Ever since its announcement fans have been anticipating the release of this summer’s hot anime Gangsta. As an anime for more mature audiences who wish to stray away from the usual moe, Gangsta‘s OP and ED tracks sure pack a punch, and deliver their blows expertly to set the tone of the anime.
Witness below “Renegade” by STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION – the OP for the show accompanied by the opening animation. The style, the pace, the dark electronic feel to the track all come together to create this fusion. One could say it’s so good, it’s criminal! Not to mention the gritty animation sequence – some would say it’s reminiscent of recent masterpiece Psycho Pass.
As those who read the manga may know, Gangsta – while full of style and class, also comes with great characterization and emotional backdrop. Also posted below is the ED “Yoru no Kuni” by Annabel – a more mellow track, rounding off the show’s deeper tones. Definitely a somber, melodic acoustic track accompanied by Annabel’s beautiful vocals; it does its job of evoking ones emotions at the end of an episode.
We’re already placing our bets that many a tear will be shed by the time the last episode rolls around while this track plays. Have a listen.
Here’s the most recent commercial video for Gangsta.:
The first episode of the Gangsta. anime aired on July 2nd at 2:44am JST on ABC Asahi. The anime will then air on Tokyo MX on the 5th at 11:30pm JST, followed by TV Aichi on the 6th at 2:35am JST and finally on BS11 on the 9th at 12:30am JST. The series will also be streamed online on Niconico.
The anime’s website has revealed the first set of character designs for the series’ main cast, which includes:
- Junichi Suwabe (Archer in Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works) voices Worick Arcangelo
- Kenjiro Tsuda (Sadaharu Inui from Prince of Tennis) as Nicholas Brown
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) voicing the role of Nina
- Tetsuo Kaneo (Bui from Yu Yu Hakusho) will voice Chad Adkins
- Mamiko Noto (Kotomi Ichinose in Clannad) will voice the role of Alex Benedetto
- Kaito Ishikawa (Tsumugu Kihara from Nagi no Asukara) voicing as Cody Balfour
- Satoshi Mikami (Kumado Minai in Mushishi Zoku Shou) as Dr. Theo
- Yoshiko Sakakibara (Haman Karn from Mobile Suit Gundam) voicing as Gina Paulklee
- Mikako Komatsu (Neko from K) will voice Ginger
- Tomohisa Hashizume (Bertolt Hoover in Attack on Titan) is playing the role of Delico
- Tomoaki Maeno (Naotsugu from Log Horizon) as Yang
- Takuya Kirimoto (Agon Kongo from Eyeshield 21) will voice Ivan Grazef
- Tsuyoshi Koyama (Galileo in Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon) voices Miles Mayer
- Katsuhisa Houki (Bartley Asprius in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) voices the role of Daniel Monroe
Additional cast members of anime have also been released and the remainder of the full cast consists of:
- Hideyuki Umezu (Ian Vashti from Mobile Suit Gundam 00) voices Uranos Corsica
- Tomokazu Seki (Shinichi Chiaki in Nodame Cantabile) is voicing Striker
- Sayaka Ohara (Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail) as Beretta
- Yuuta Kasuya (Shun Andromeda from Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter – Elysion) will voice Colt
- Yuu Shimamura (Aida Surugan in Gundam: G no Reconguista) voices the role of Erica
- Shiori Izawa (Tanpopo Kuraishi in Witch Craft Works) is voicing Sig
- Atsumi Tanezaki (Lisa Mishima from Zankyou no Terror) joins the cast as Mikhail
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) as Marco Adriano
- Kana Ueda (Rin Tohsaka in Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works) voicing as Loretta Cristiano Amodio
- Ami Koshimizu (Ryuuko Matoi from Kill la Kill) will play Constance Raveau
- Tetsu Inada (Ira Gamagoori from Kill la Kill) will voice Galahad Woeho
- Hiroyuki Yoshino (Firo Prochainezo in Baccano!) voices Doug
New members of the anime’s production staff were also revealed and in total includes:
- Director: Shukou Murase (Ergo Proxy, Mobile Suit Gundam Evolve)
- Series Director: Koichi Hatsumi (Deadman Wonderland, Berserk: Ougon Jidaihen I – Haou no Tamago)
- Series Composer: Shinichi Inotsume (Hayate no Gotoku!, Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited – Hyoubu Kyousuke)
- Anime Character Designer: Youichi Ueda (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Manga, Asobi ni Ikuyo! Director)
- Art Designer: Masahiro Kubota (Howl’s Moving Castle and Kakumeiki Valvrave Background Artist)
- Art Director: Masatoshi Kai (Ao no Exorcist, Kakumeiki Valvrave)
- Colour Designer: Yuuko Saitou (Deadman Wonderland, Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna)
- Sound Director: Yukio Nagasaki (Love Live! School idol project, Ao Haru Ride)
- Music Composer: Tsutchie (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
- Animation Studio: Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, The World God Only Knows)
Gangsta. is a manga series written and illustrated by Kohske. It began serialization in 2010 in Shinchosha’s Comic @ Bunch magazine where to date a total of 6 compiled volumes have been released. It is Kohske’s first series, after publishing two short stories. Her second manga series, DOODLE, began publication last year. The site itself has revealed that a total of 2 drama CDs that have been produced and are currently available for ¥3,000 (~ $30.00 USD), with a third and final CD releasing on December 24th.
Synopsis from Haruhichan:
In the town of Ergastulum, there exists a feared group of people with increased speed and strength called Twilights. The town is ruled by four gangs: Paulklee, Corsica, Monroe, and Cristiano. Worick Arcangelo and Nicolas Brown make a living here as independent jacks-of-all-trades and find themselves caught in the middle of more than a little trouble.
The Gangsta. anime will be airing from July 2nd at 2:44am JST on ABC Asahi during the Summer 2015 anime season. Further information about the anime will be revealed soon.