The official website of the 2 upcoming live-action Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) movies, based on Hajime Isayama’s manga of the same name, has revealed a brand new trailer. The trailer shows us new footage of the upcoming films, a look at the titans and the first look of the 3D Maneuver Gear in action.
The second official trailer has also been released, which previews the film’s characters in action and gives us the first look of the tremendous titans in action:
Here’s the first trailer:
The second film will have its own unique subtitle and will be called Attack on Titan: End of the World. It will be released in Japanese theaters on September 19. The first film, simply titled Attack on Titan, will open on August 1st.
Here are the main visuals of the films:
- Haruma Miura as Eren Yeager
- Kiko Mizuhara as Mikasa Ackerman
- Kanata Hongo as Armin Arlet
In regards to the cast, producer Yoshihiro Sato had discussions with creator Hajime Isayama and decided to cast actors and actresses that could act and flesh out the characters rather than just looking like them. One of the new original characters for the film, Shikishima, will be a key character to the film being titled “humanity’s strongest man”. Isayama will be overseeing the story of the upcoming film. Higuchi has confirmed that the two films will be set in the same world and feature the same characters, though the film will also incorporate new characters and enemies. The films were filmed at Hashima Island in the Nagasaki Prefecture, in Kumamoto Prefecture, Ibaraki Prefecture and Toho studio.
The film’s staff includes:
- Director: Shinji Higuchi (Nadia – The Secret of Blue Water)
- Scriptwriters: Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan Manga Creator), Yuusuke Watanabe (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods), Tomohiro Machiyama (Japanese Film Critic)
- Character Designers: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Wolf Children) and Takayuki Takeya (Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Costume Designer)
- Special Effects Director: Katsuro Onoue (Onmyoji, Uchuu Kyoudai Live Action Film)
- Special Effects Modeller: Yoshihiro Nishimura (Suicide Club and Tokyo Gore Police Director)
- Art Director: Tsuyoshi Shimizu (Killer Bride’s Perfect Crime, The Backwater)
- Costumer Designer: Shinichi Miter (Wool 100%, 69)
- Film Studio: TOHO (Ao Haru Ride Live Action Film, Pokémon Films)
The Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) series was created by Hajime Isayama. It started off as a manga in 2009 and is published in Kodansha’s monthly Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. To date there has been 14 compiled volumes of the manga. A prequel light novel adaptation started in 2011, and two spin-off manga started serialization in 2012: Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall and Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou. In April 2013 the series was picked up for an anime adaptation. The anime series was produced by the newly formed Wit Studios. The series has grown in popularity since the anime’s debut, with the manga selling over 36 million copies as of April this year. Two live action film adaptations will be releasing in Japan next year. The second season of the anime was earlier announced to air in 2016.
100 years ago, titans suddenly appeared on Earth. Soon, human civilization veered on collapse due to the titans. Humans then built a giant wall to defend themselves. Within the giant walls, humans lived in peace, but, 100 years later, the giant wall is broken.
The two live action Attack on Titan films will be releasing in Japan next Summer. The first film will release in August and the second film will release in the following month in September.
You can visit the film’s website here: http://www.shingeki-seyo.com/