The official website for the upcoming second season TV anime adaptation of Yanai Tagami’s light novel series Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Gate: The Self-Defense Forces Fight Like This in Another Land) began streaming the first promotional video on Saturday. The new video also features the opening song “GATE II ~Sekai o Koete~” (GATE II ~Surpass the World~) by Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (Highschool of the Dead, Strike the Blood), who also performed the first season’s opening theme.
The second season will premiere on January 9 at 1:05 a.m. on Tokyo MX TV, and it will also air on MBS, TV Aichi, BS11, and AT-X.
Here’s the previous commercial which was streamed earlier this month:
In addition to this, a new visual for the second season was recently revealed:
Here’s the promotional video for upcoming second season.
It was recently revealed that the theme song performers from the first season will return to perform the theme songs for the second season. Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (Highschool of the Dead, Strike the Blood) is performing the opening theme “GATE II ~Sekai o Koete~” and the three main female cast members – Nao Touyama (Lelei la Lelena), Hisako Kanemoto (Tuka Luna Marceau), and Risa Taneda (Rory Mercury), will perform the ending theme.
Both songs will ship on CD on January 27, 2016.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Junichi Suwabe (Archer in Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works) will voice Youji Itami, an Otaku human who is also the leader of the Self-Defense Force troops
- Hisako Kanemoto (Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury in Sailor Moon Crystal) as Tuka Luna Marso, a female Elf
- Nao Touyama (Chitoge Kirisaki from Nisekoi) as Lelei la Lelena, a human mage
- Risa Taneda (Mirai Kuriyama from Kyoukai no Kanata) as Rory Mercury, a demigod serving Emroy
The first members of the anime’s staff were also revealed and consists of:
- Director: Takahiko Kyougoku (Love Live! School Idol Project Season 1 and Season 2)
- Series Composer: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon, Black Bullet)
- Anime Character Designer: Jun Nakai (Silver Spoon, Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou)
- Sound Director: Yukio Nagasaki (Love Live! School Idol Project, Ao Haru Ride)
- Music Composer: Yoshiaki Fujisawa (Love Live! School Idol Project, Akuma no Riddle)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Aldnoah.Zero)
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Gate: The Self-Defense Forces Fight Like This in Another Land) is a Japanese light novel series written by Takumi Yanai and originally illustrated by Daisuke Izuka. AlphaPolis published five volumes and three side-story collections from April 2010 to April 2014. AlphaPolis began publishing an expanded edition of the main series with illustrations by Kuroshishi in December 2012. A manga adaptation illustrated by Satoru Sao began in July 2011. An anime television series has been announced.
In August of 20XX, a portal to a parallel world, known as the “Gate,” suddenly appeared in Ginza, Tokyo. Monsters and troops poured out of the portal, turning the shopping district into a bloody inferno.
The Japan Ground-Self Defence Force immediately took action and pushed the fantasy creatures back to the “Gate.” To facilitate negotiations and prepare for future fights, the JGSDF dispatched the Third Reconnaissance Team to the “Special Region” at the other side of the Gate.
Youji Itami, a JSDF officer as well as a 33-year-old otaku, was appointed as the leader of the Team. Amid attacks from enemy troops the team visited a variety of places and learnt a lot about the local culture and geography.
Thanks to their efforts in humanitarian relief, although with some difficulties they were gradually able to reach out to the locals. They even had a cute elf, a sorceress and a demigoddess in their circle of new friends. On the other hand, the major powers outside the Gate such as the United States,China and Russia were extremely interested in the abundant resources available in the Special Region. They began to exert diplomatic pressure over Japan.
A suddenly appearing portal to an unknown world—to the major powers it may be no more than a mere asset for toppling the international order. But to our protagonists it is an invaluable opportunity to broaden knowledge, friendship, and ultimately their perspective towards the world.
Source: GATE official website